Dear Breck Families,
Welcome to the Breck Parents Association webpage. We hope this page will help you learn about the many events and activities available to you throughout the year and provide opportunities to connect with our community.
The PA exists to connect parents to the school and connect parents to one another. Our goal is to strengthen and support each parent’s journey through Breck. We endeavor to facilitate the moments that bring parents closer together in order to build a healthy network of supportive, and engaged and confident families. Our collective talent, energy, vision, and leadership enable us to contribute to the extraordinary Breck community.
Through our efforts, we help each other stay informed, support the students, faculty and administration, celebrate successes, discuss issues and participate in activities that enrich the community. While we all share the experience of being a Breck parent, each family’s journey is unique. Through your participation and voluntary efforts, the Breck PA hosts or co-hosts over 90 events during the school year that address some of those individual needs. All of this is possible because of parents who care so deeply about our school. Thank you for all you do for Breck!
- Parent Meetings - All School, Division, and Grade-Level Events
- Parent Education
- Family Community Outreach
- ReUse, RePlay, ReCycle
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Community Building
- New Family & Parent Gatherings
- Meals that Heal
- Staff Appreciation Day
- Get Involved
- Parents Association FAQ
The PA President plans two All-Parent meetings per school year, one in the Autumn and one in the Spring. These meetings are a great opportunity for parents to hear from the senior leadership of Breck about current initiatives and goals. The PA Division Chairs work directly with their Division Director to plan interesting and relevant Division and Grade-Level parent meetings throughout the year. The Chairs also coordinate and support the Grade-Level Representatives in Middle School and Upper School, and the Classroom Ambassadors in the Lower School. All of the meeting dates can be found on the calendar and in the Back-to-School mailing. Reminders will appear on the weekly Breck Bulletin Board. The PA varies the meeting dates and times throughout the year to accommodate parent schedules. Please feel free to reach out to the PA Division Chairs with questions:
- Wednesday, September 25, 2019 | 8:45-10:00 AM | MS Dining Room
- Wednesday, April 29, 2020 | 8:45-10:00 AM | MS Dining Room
Lower School PA Division Meetings
- Wednesday, September 4, 2019 | 8:30 AM Community Mtg followed by 9:15 AM PA LS Division Mtg | MS Dining Room
- Tuesday, November 12, 2019 | 6:30-8:00 PM |
- Wednesday, February 5, 2020 | 8:45-10:00 AM
Lower School Grade-Level Parent Meetings
- Preschool/Kindergarten | Wednesday, September 18, 2019 | 11:30 AM-1:00 PM | Heritage Room, Anderson Ice Arena
- Preschool | Monday, May 11, 2020 | 6:30-8:00 PM | LS Library
- Kindergarten Tuesday, May 5, 2020 | 6:30-8:00 PM | LS Library
- Grades 1/2 | Update: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 | 11:30 AM-1:00 PM | Heritage Room, Anderson Ice Arena
- Grade 1 | Tuesday, April 21, 2020 | 6:30-8:00 PM | LS Library
- Grade 2 | Thursday, April 30, 2020 | 6:30-8:00 PM | LS Library
- Grades 3/4 | Wednesday, October 23, 2019 | 11:30 AM-1:00 PM | Heritage Room, Anderson Ice Arena
- Grade 3 | Thursday, April 16, 2020 | 6:30-8:00 PM | LS Library
- Grade 4 | Thursday, May 14, 2020 | 6:30-8:00 PM | MS Dining Room
Middle School PA Division Meetings
- Tuesday, October 15, 2019 | 8:30-10:00 AM | MS Dining Room
- Wednesday, January 22, 2020 | 11:30 AM-1:00 PM | Heritage Room, Anderson Ice Arena
- Wednesday, April 22, 2020 | 8:30-10:00 AM | MS Dining Room
Middle School Grade-Level Parent Meetings
- Grade 5 | Wednesday, October 2, 2019 | 11:30 AM-1:00 PM | Heritage Room, Ice Arena
- Grade 6 | Tuesday, May 12, 2020 | 6:30-8:00 PM | MS Dining Room
- Grade 7 | Tuesday, April 14, 2020 | 11:30 AM-1:00 PM | Heritage Room, Anderson Ice Arena
- Grade 8 | Tuesday, February 4, 2020 | 6:30-8:00 PM (US Dining Room
Upper School PA Division Meetings
- Thursday, January 16, 2020 | 6:30 PM | US Library
- Friday, April 17, 2020 | 8:45 AM | US Library
Upper School Grade-Level Parent Meetings
- Grade 9 | Friday, September 6, 2019 | 11:30 AM | Heritage Room, Ice Arena
- Grade 9 | Wednesday, March 4, 2020 | 6:30 PM | US Library
- Grade 10 | Wednesday, November 13, 2019 | 6:30 PM | US Dining Room
- Grade 11 | College meetings only
- Grade 12 | Wednesday, April 8, 2020 | 6:30 PM | US Dining Room
The mission of Parent Education is to promote a community of healthy Breck families by sponsoring programs and events for parents to support the mental, physical, emotional and behavioral aspects of a student’s life. These may include national or local speakers, discussion groups, book clubs and community events. Parent Education may also coordinate speakers with the Peter Clark Center for Mind, Brain & Education (PCC) and Breck Administration. The themes and topics change year to year, based on current interests. Please feel free to reach out to the Parent Education Chairs Rob Wheaton and Quannah Parker-McGowan with any questions or ideas.
Family Community Outreach aims to create opportunities for Breck families to participate in community service together. The Chairs work with the Chaplains and Community Service Coordinators at Breck in planning events. Each year the Committee plans and executes three events for the entire Breck community (students, families, faculty, staff, coaches, alums) to come together to serve our community.
Family Community Outreach Events
- Fall Leaf Raking | Saturday, October 26, 2019 | 9:00-12:00 PM | Click here for more information and to volunteer!
- Special Olympics Poly Hockey Tournament | Saturday-Sunday, January 25-26, 2020
- Food Packing at The Sheridan Story | Saturday, April 25, 2020 | 9:00-11:00 AM
Family Community Outreach Committee Meeting Dates
- Wednesday, September 18, 2019 | 8:45-10:00 AM | Wilder Room
- Wednesday, October 9, 2019 | 8:45-10:00 AM | Wilder Room
- Wednesday, November 6, 2019 | 8:45-10:00 AM | At PRISM
- Wednesday, January 15, 2020 | 8:45-10:00 AM | Wilder Room
- Wednesday, February 12, 2020 | 8:45-10:00 AM | At PRISM
- Wednesday, April 8, 2020 | 8:45-10:00 AM | Wilder Room
- Wednesday, May 6, 2020 | 8:45-10:00 AM | Wilder Room
ReUse Uniforms and Middle School gym clothes in good to excellent condition are available at reduced prices during sales held throughout the school year. Questions? Contact Chairs Sarah Oltmann and Mindy Zittel.
2019-2020 Sale Dates
Thursday, August 22 | 11:00 am-5:00 pm
Thursday, October 3 | 12:30-7:30 pm
Friday, October 4 | 9:00 am-Noon
Thursday, February 27 | 3:00-7:30 pm
Friday, February 28 | 9:00 am-Noon
Plaid jumpers and skirts | $10
Polo shirts | $5
Blouses | $5
Logo items | $1
Khaki or blue pants/shorts | $5
Pullovers/sweaters | $5
Gym t-shirts and shorts | $5
Please bring gently-used and CLEAN LS/MS uniforms, gym clothing, and choir, band and orchestra concert attire to the Middle School Office. Breck’s RRR Committee accepts donations of uniform approved clothing — those items that are purchased in either the uniform stores or our online gym store. We do not resell any items from major stores or labels (Gap, Lands’ End, Target, Kohl’s, Izod, etc.) Please donate those items to friends or local second-hand stores. Donations are accepted throughout the year.
Breck can always use both hockey and figure skates. Parents may drop off used skates at the main office at the Anderson Ice Arena, or at school with Merrill Harris, PE Department Head. Please note that helmets are not included in this program.
Used musical instruments are needed for the fourth-grade instrument rotation, for scholarship students, and when an instrument is left at home. Both band and string instruments are needed, and can be dropped off at the Performing Arts Office at any time. Donated instruments need to be in good working condition. Equipment not used will be donated or sold. Contact the Advancement Office for a letter of acknowledgement for the donation (instrument donations only).
By making it easy for parents to recycle uniforms and equipment, the Parents Association supports an environmentally-friendly Breck community. With this in mind, the PA has begun holding a Used Book Sale in the Spring to prepare our students for summer reading. More details to follow on the Email Breck Bulletin Board.
The Diversity & Inclusion Committee is open to all parents and focuses on fostering community. Everyone belongs at Breck. To help support Breck and its families, we partner with the Melrose Center and help connect parents to one another, the school and our children, so everyone feels listened to, included and supported in order to enrich our experience together.
Diversity and Inclusion Events
- Breck Film Festival | Saturday, November 2, 2019 | Visit the Film Festival webpage here!
- World Culture Night | Tuesday, March 10, 2020
- Student Voices | Friday, April 17, 2020
Diversity and Inclusion Committee Meeting Dates
- Friday, September 13, 2019 | 8:30-10:00 AM
- Friday, October 11, 2019 | 8:30-10:00 AM
- Friday, December 13, 2019 | 8:30-10:00 AM
- Friday, January 10, 2020 | 8:30-10:00 AM
- Friday, February 7, 2020 | 8:30-10:00 AM
- Friday, May 8, 2020 | 8:30-10:00 AM
D&I supports this mission through two signature events, The Film Festival and Student Voices. Additionally, we host parent coffees and guest speakers. Our committee usually meets monthly. Should you have any questions or ideas, please reach out to Chairs Anna Anderson and Carol Luo.
We are so fortunate to have an amazing parent community at Breck. The Breck Community Building Events are social gatherings for Breck parents to get to know other parents away from school. Generally, they are organized by Grade-Level, and held either at someone’s home or at a local restaurant. Please reach out to Anna Lyon or Megan Rogers with any questions. If you are interested in helping to host (either at your home OR at a restaurant), please reach out to your Classroom Ambassador or Grade-Level Representative (contact information in the Breck Directory).
- Preschool | Saturday, October 12, 2019
- Kindergarten | Friday, October 25, 2019
- Grade 1 | Friday, January 24, 2020
- Grade 2 | Friday, February 21, 2020
- Grade 3 | Saturday, February 1, 2020
- Grade 4 | Saturday, November 16, 2019
- Grade 4 Family Skate | Sunday, March 8, 2020
- Grade 5 | Saturday, September 21, 2019
- Grade 6 | Saturday, January 25, 2020
- Grades 7-8 | Saturday, November 9, 2019
- Grade 9 | Saturday, September 28, 2019
- Grade 10 | Saturday, February 22, 2020
- Grade 11 | Saturday, May 16, 2020
- Grade 12 | Saturday, February 8, 2020
New Family Coffees
Morning coffees are scheduled throughout the school year for new parents to come meet other new parents, listen to a speaker, and ask the hosts Sandy Stone '85 and Lesley Briese questions about all aspects of Breck. Everyone is welcome, and even families a year or two into their Breck experience can learn a lot!
New Family Coffee Dates
- Friday, September 6, 2019 | 8:45-10:00 AM | US Glass Balcony
- Friday, September 20, 2019 | 8:45-10:00 AM (with Admissions) | US Library
- Thursday, October 24, 2019 | 6:30-8:00 PM | Off-Campus (TBA)
- Tuesday, December 3, 2019 | 8:45-10:00 AM | US Glass Balcony
- Friday, January 24, 2020 | 8:45-10:00 AM | US Glass Balcony
- Wednesday, March 11, 2020 | 8:45-10:00 AM | US Glass Balcony
Friday, May 22, 2020 | 8:45-10:00 AM | US Glass Balcony
Breck Meals That Heal is a volunteer meal service offered to Breck community members and their families who are facing a hardship. The generosity and desire to care for and reach out to others is integral to Breck’s philosophy and mission. In addition, this program continues to strengthen the bonds within our Breck community.
How it Works
The Breck family in need is initially identified by a fellow community member, teacher, or Breck staff and referred to the Meals That Heal chair Danielle Preissing. Following a conversation with and consent from the identified family, the Breck Communications team sends an email to the appropriate Classroom and Grade-Level parents directing them to BreckMealsThatHeal.org where families may view and sign up as a volunteer to prepare a meal. Each situation is considered individually so that the family’s needs are best met. In the rare situation that a Breck family expresses the desire for confidentiality, with their consent, meal delivery is managed discreetly. The Meals That Heal coordinator will be provided only with the total number of family members and any dietary restrictions. The prepared meals will be delivered to the identified Breck representative instead of directly to the recipient family. No identifiable information will be provided at any point in the communication process. Meals are typically provided for a two week time span although there is flexibility depending on the need of the family.
Meals That Heal, New Additions was created to welcome new members of current families to the Breck community. Through birth or adoption, new Breck family members are welcomed to the community with a mailed gift. Information about new Breck family members is provided to the Meals That Heal coordinator, Karen Shaul, by community members, teachers, and staff.
Staff Appreciation Day takes place on Tuesday, April 28, 2020, and is an opportunity for students, parents, family members, and alumni to show their appreciation to members of the Breck faculty and staff. This special day is organized by the Parents Association and the Breck Chaplains, which begins with a service in the Chapel. Afterwards, the PA presents ALL faculty and staff with thank you notes from our community, and a gift from the PA.
In an effort to make it as easy as possible for families to acknowledge Breck faculty and staff (including bus drivers, custodians, food servers, and other support staff), we've created a form that lists all the faculty and staff at Breck. Using the online form to write thank you notes helps us with the printing and delivery of the notes. As always, handwritten notes are more than welcome! These letters may be placed either in the wishing wells (located in the US Commons and the MS Commons) OR the classroom buckets (K-4) beginning on Monday, April 13. An online submission form will be available closer to Staff Appreciation Day 2020.
If you would like to become more involved at Breck, the PA welcomes your help! All of our PA events are run entirely by volunteers, and any help is very much appreciated. If interested, we recommend you attend a variety of PA events to become familiar with PA activities. This will allow you to meet the volunteers in different leadership positions, and give you the opportunity to ask questions.
Some PA events need volunteers arranged in advance, and an electronic sign-up will be sent to parents in September. At any time during the year, you can also reach out to the individual Chairs to volunteer for events.
Finally, please look for an email from the PA President in February with the list of open board positions for the following school year.
Where Do Meetings Take Place?
Generally, meetings take place on Breck’s main campus. Locations may include the MS or US Dining Rooms, the Libraries, the Glass Balcony (US Dining Room) or the West Boardroom. Please check the Breck Bulletin Board for the exact location of the meeting. Please note, if a meeting is in the Heritage Room, that means it is at the Ice Arena, which is about a five minute drrive from the Breck campus on Highway 55.
Do I need to RSVP?
The event details on the Breck Bulletin Board will indicate IF an RSVP is required. While we understand that with our busy lives, things can change at the last minute, we appreciate a response if necessary. This is usually because there will be food at the meeting, and we want to make sure we have enough for all attendees.
Will Meetings be Live Streamed and/or Recorded?
This usually depends on the speaker and topic. We try to LiveStream as many meetings as possible, to accommodate parent schedules. The Breck Bulletin Board will indicate if a meeting will be LiveStreamed, and provide the login information.
The PA would appreciate the help of any parent who could assist with the LiveStreaming of a meeting that a parent is already planning to attend. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about training.
Do I Need to Attend Every Meeting?
The PA firmly believes that the more parents engage in the Breck community, the more they benefit. That being said, the PA organized approximately 90 events! We do not expect parents to attend everything - rather, we encourage you to choose events whose topics you find important in your role as a Breck parent. As always, feel free to reach out to PA Board Members, Grade-Level Representatives or Classroom Ambassadors to learn more about an upcoming event or meeting.