Meet a Mustang: Evan Jones '86
Each month, the 123 eNewsletter features 10 questions with a member of our alumni community. This month, take a moment to get to know Evan Jones ’86.
Evan is a faculty member at Breck where he teaches 5th grade science. He graduated from Breck in 1986 followed by the University of Minnesota in 1993. He lives in St. Paul with his wife and two children.
1. What was the last book you read?
I just finished The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel Brown. It’s a fantastic story about the crew team that rowed in the 1936 Olympics in Germany.
2. Why did you choose your profession?
I have a lot of passions that fill my time. One of them is children and another is exploration and science. Being able to introduce kids to science is a fun union of my interests.
3. What’s one of the best decisions you’ve ever made?
No doubt…marrying my wife.
4. Tell us about your favorite Breck memory?
Well I have a unique perspective as a former student and current faculty member. Ironically, two distinct memories happened in the Head of School’s office about 25 years apart.
5. Name three people – living or dead – you would have dinner with.
- My future great grandchild
- Yogi Berra
- Albert Einstein
6. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and how would you use it?
I want to come up with an inspirational and motivating idea…however, it would be SOOO cool to fly! I would use my power to fly around thinking of a better answer to this question.
7. What teacher inspired you most?
I had a 4th grade teacher named Jim Norman. He had the unique ability to hold me (us) to a high standard of quality while allowing us to struggle and fail. It helped that he was kind and hilarious.
8. What words of wisdom would you pass on to your childhood self?
Well Evan, have a seat…I still am a child!
I think that the number one message that I would have benefited from was: If I kept doing my best, and stayed true to myself, it would all work out. Sometimes a little confidence in the outcome can be pretty motivating.
9. Advice for recent Breck grads?
If you keep doing your best, and stay true to yourself, it will all work out.
Breck students are very well prepared and they should feel confident that the outcome will be pretty great.
10. Why is it important for you to stay connected to Breck?
Breck is an awesome school that gives students remarkable access to experiences. Getting to “ride the bus” with them is a great honor.