Ice Arena Manager
Title: Ice Arena Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer (CFO) — also works closely with Building Superintendent
Hours: Determined with CFO
Effective Date: July 2018
Ice Arena Manager oversees the ice arena operations ensuring excellence in scheduling, operations, safety, fiscal health, and customer satisfaction. The Ice Arena Manager also ensures Breck School Anderson Ice Arena operates as an extension of Breck School, adhering to all aspects of Breck School’s Mission and Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains or increases profitability using a combination of sales strategies and cost control mechanisms (e.g., updated lighting and energy efficiency programs).
- Utilizes specific computer applications including ice rental scheduling software.
- Manages event space, including coordinating room setup and interfacing with rental and Breck School customers.
- Generates rental invoices and ensures proper receipt of payments working with the Business Office to ensure monthly reconciliation of payments.
- Ensures facility has supplies/equipment needed to run efficiently and effectively.
- Performs staff duties as needed, including collecting admission fees and ice rental payments.
- Coordinates crowd control during on-ice activities and large events.
- Provides accurate information regarding fees, programs, schedules, and rental information to customers.
- Ensures excellent quality of ice at all times.
- Ensures facility is organized, clean, sanitary and safe both inside and outside.
- Ensures facility meets all local, state, federal and fire safety codes at all times.
- Ensures operations equipment is in good working order at all times.
- Ensures emergencies supplies (e.g., first aid kits, fire extinguishers, etc.) are available and in good working order.
- Monitors building security, maintenance and custodial operations throughout the facility.
- Offers excellent customer service to all patrons; develops and maintains strong relationships with facility user groups; and, maintains public relations and patron satisfaction.
- Creates welcoming atmosphere and high level of customer service via staff training and care of physical environment.
- Enforces policies and rules to ensure the safety of all guests; intervening in situations related to safety as necessary.
- Evaluates staffing needs (including recruitment, hiring, training, and evaluation) and makes adjustments in the schedule to ensure facility operates efficiently.
- Creates and oversees the work schedule to both cover daily operations and utilize the staff productively, especially during slower times.
- Develops and updates safety policies,
- Implements training programs which ensure staff is fully trained.
- Provides staff reviews.
- Maintains open communication with staff to ensure all are up-to-date on the most recent procedures and policies.
Preferred Education & Experience
- College degree preferred
- Ice rink experience, including knowledge of rink operations and equipment
- Personnel management experience, including hiring, supervision, evaluation and training
- Experience creating, marketing, and building new programs
- Ability to work independently, strong self-motivation and effective time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to think strategically and develop "out of the box" ideas for increasing sales and controlling costs
- Firm understanding of budgeting and financial accounts
- Ability to analyze problem situations and develop effective solutions exercising good judgment in keeping with the mission of the ice center
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Proficiency with standard office and computer equipment, programs including Microsoft Word & Excel, and the ability to learn specialized recreation/retail computer programs
- Willingness to perform other duties, work irregular hours, and assume added responsibilities as needed
- Must be able to lift 45 pounds
- Requires climbing, reaching, bending, pulling, and lifting. Some work is done on a slippery surface and varying environments including warm and cold temperatures
Send resume, letter of interest and salary history to: email@example.com