Associate Director of College Counseling
TITLE: Associate Director of College Counseling
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of College Counseling
VACATION: July, Christmas Break, Spring Break
Breck School, a diverse independent P-12 day school, seeks qualified candidates for the position of Associate Director of College Counseling. The successful candidate enjoys working collaboratively with a student-centered staff to provide a high level of service to our students and families. Candidates should enjoy working with teenagers and possess an exceptional work ethic, strong communication skills, and a commitment to collegiality. Exceptional listeners and counselors, candidates should possess strong organizational and time management skills and the desire and ability to connect with a diverse group of students and parents.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Counsel juniors and seniors in the college process.
- Write recommendations for assigned students.
- Advise juniors and sophomores on course planning.
- Advocate for students.
- Plan and participate in external relations activities of the office.
- Meet regularly with admissions representatives as they visit Breck.
- Travel as Breck’s representative to national and local conferences and on college tours.
- Prepare and plan regular meetings with sophomores, juniors and senior classes on timely topics such as financial aid, writing essays, visiting colleges, interviewing and preparing applications.
- Organize and administer the ACT, SAT and AP tests hosted on Breck’s campus.
- Communicate effectively to all constituencies with expertise in the admissions process.
- This position includes a combination of teaching, advising, coaching, co-curricular activities.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree; Advanced degree preferred
- Familiarity with independent schools
- 3+ years experience in a college counseling and/or college admissions office
- 3-5 years teaching experience
- A growth mindset about changes in high school and college education
- The ability to function well under stress and time constraints
Breck School is a single-campus, P-12, Episcopal independent school where living our mission means always re-imagining, reinventing, and reanimating learning — both to model the process and rewards of authentic, meaningful learning for Breck students, and to continually grow, evolve, and reinvigorate as a learning enterprise.
Founded in 1886, Breck is located in Golden Valley, Minnesota, about five minutes west of downtown Minneapolis. We serve a community of approximately 1,150 students on our 50-acre campus. Visit www.breckschool.org for more information.
Breck students are independent thinkers, self-starters, socially conscious problem solvers, thoughtful athletes, visionary artists, perpetually curious and perpetually learning citizens. We want every Breck graduate to be confident, capable, and compassionate enough to change the world in the way they see fit. If that approach mirrors yours, we encourage your further interest.
Submit letter of interest, resume and two letters of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org.